Before you begin drawing, you'll want to get yourself in a drawing state of mind. These steps can help you get yourself there. Because steps are a left-brained arrangement, you may want to record yourself saying these steps slowly and then play the recording when you want to arrive in this state.
1. Arrange yourself and your hand or subject.
3. Sit comfortably, and arrange your paper and board.
4. Relax for a moment. Try to forget about the rest of the world and the other things you need to do today.
5. Close your eyes for a moment. Breathe slowly and try to let all that you normally think about pass out of your mind.
6. Concentrate on the moment. Sit comfortably. Open your eyes.
7. Look closely at your subject. Try to see it as if you were looking at it for the first time.
8. Let your eyes travel around the outside of your object.
9. Try to see all the detail inside the outside shape.
10. Now, focus on a line. See how it curves. Which way? How long? Which line does it meet? Does it go over or under that line?
11. Try to see all the lines as special to the whole. Then place your pencil on the page and begin to draw.
Was this article helpful?
A pool of fresh water is special. It's special as it’s a bit like our consciousness. If you try hard you may be able to see really little waves or ripples in the water. They’re really slight. The surface of the water is like the surface of your consciousness. The part that you're cognizant of.