To construct a square givsn the diagonal (Fig. 2/22)
1. Draw tha diagonal AC.
3. With centra 0 and radius OA (■» OC) draw a circle to cut the bisecting line in B and D.
ABCD rs the required square.
To construct a rectangle given the length of the diagonal and one of the sides (Pig. 2/23)
1. Draw the diagonal BD.
3. With centre O and radius OB (- OD) draw a circle.
4. With centre B and radius equal to the length of the known side, draw an arc to cut the circle m C.
5. Repeat step 4 with centre D to cut at A. ABCD is the required rectangle.
To construct a parallelogram given two sides and an angle (Fig. 2/24)
1. Draw AD equal to the length of one of the sides.
2. From A construct the known angle.
3. Mark off AB equal in length to the other known side.
4. With compass point at B draw an arc equal m radius to AD
5. With compass point at D draw an arc equal in radius to AB.
ABCD is the required parallelogram t j Fig. 2/24
To construct a rhombus given the diagonal and the length of the sides (Fig. 2/25)
1. Draw the diagonal AC.
2. From A and C draw intartecting arcs, equal in length to the sides, to meet at Band D ABCD is the required rhombus.
To construct e trspezlum given the lengths of the parallel aides, the perpendicular distance between them and one angle (Fig. 2/26)
1. Draw one of the parallels AB.
2. Construct the parallel line.
3. Construct the known angle from B to intersect the parallel line in C.
4. Mark off the known length CD. ABCD is the required trapezium.
Was this article helpful?